Sunday, May 5, 2013

Rennes Triathlon 5th May - 11th place

First tri of the year - Olympic Distance, drafting race in Rennes.  We had a really warm day, the lake which I was worried was going to be cold was in fact quite warm and pleasant.  Shame I failed to make the correct turn on the second lap of the swim after dropping off the back of a group - cost me some time but I felt I swam well.

There's a long transition to pick up the bike and ten a rapid 6 lap drafting bike course. Legs felt great was was consciously trying to hold back but the trouble was as I started lapping people so they would jump on but not be able to contribute much.  One chap I caught who was on the same lap as me was doing his turns but not good enough so I had to ditch him and jump away rather than give him a nice ride to the finish.

Out on the run my legs were really feeling spenty and it felt like a death march, but it was 6th fastest run and I only dropped one place so it wasn't that bad.  11th place overall and 2nd vet, first V2.

The rest of the Guernsey guys did well - Gail King won the overall women' s race, James Gower was 20th and Sean Murphy in his first away race was mid field.  Jersey laid down an ominous marker with their guys coming out of the swim first with Tom Perchard going on to place 4th, Doc Snook 7th. The following day was warm and sunny again and we enjoyed a cafe ride out to Combourg and back. 
(Pictures by Ian Scholes)





No comments:

Post a Comment